Saturday, October 27, 2012

Book Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

My Rating: 3 of 5 stars


Publication date:  26 April 2012 by Corgi (First published May 24th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers)

Blurb: My whole body shivered. I was about to find out if magic was real. The electric thrill of terror was sharp on my tongue. I cut deep.

The murder of her parents has left Silla damaged and lost, and her insistence that her father is not to blame alienates her from her friends and family. When a mysterious spell book arrives, Silla hopes it will lead to some answers about her parents' killer. In her first attempt at magic, in an old graveyard near her home, she is overseen by Nick, the new boy in town who has a chilling past of his own. Together, they must contend with a deadly immortal woman who will stop at nothing to possess the book of spells.

My Review: 

**Thank you Random House India for providing a review copy of this book.**

I really didn't know what to make of Blood Magic.It had a lot of highs and lows.While I was quite impressed by the fact that the author was able to come up with something unique in the paranormal area other than vampires and werewolves,I felt that the entire story could have been a whole lot better.The ins ta-love wasn't very realistic and the story wasn't that well plotted.But each and every scene was well written,even though the plot itself didn't reach up to my expectations.Tessa Gratton's writing has that hair raising quality.And I absolutely loved the entire concept of the story.I haven't really read any YA novels about this type of sorcery or alchemy(call it whatever you like) before,so I was really impressed.The best parts of the story was probably Josephine's journal entries.Especially the opening entry of the story.The entire story focuses on that entry,and as you dig deeper,you find how much significance that opening entry holds,even though it just consists of one sentence.

“I am Josephine Darly, and I intend to live forever.” 

Just a simple sentence,but it speaks of so much ambition,has so much inner meanings,and that itself is what draws you into the book.So you can see what I meant when I said that the book had so many highs and lows.It either catches the limelight or shrivels to dust.But this book is absolutely worth reading,as it's not everyday you find such a well-written book.I'd recommend it as a borrow-from-friend/library material,just to be on the safe side.Definitely reading the sequel,The Blood Keeper,which is already out.My contact from Random House U.K is sending me a copy.Eeep!!!!I have really high hopes for it because it sounds more interesting.Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

  1. Great review! Earlier this month I read the sequel to this book which was just as good, so I hope you love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin!Thanks for stopping by!I hope I enjoy the sequel too because I requested a review copy.And it's no fun writing reviews if you don't like the book now is it? :)

      Delete
  2. I'ev had this book in my Kindle for months, your review has been really helpful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure's all mine so thank YOU! :D

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this book before but thanks for introducing me to it! Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!